I came home and visited with my mom, and sister who were watching Amelia during my appointment- they stayed until 3pm and took off. Michael got home a little after 4pm, and I noticed I was having some discomfort- which I thought were Brackston Hicks, so I kept about my business. Michael invited John, his brother over to help cook a yummy dinner. I was a little worried that these contractions might go somewhere as dinner time rolled around, but I was not sure. With Amelia I was induced, and had no Brackston Hicks with her, so I didn't want to worry too much in case it didn't go anywhere. I decided around 6:30 that since the contractions hadn't gone away I should time them to see if it is really something to worry about.
At this point I couldn't remember if my doctor had said and hour of real labor contractions, or just any contractions- I didn't quite know what to do. When do you call it labor? Man I was wishing I took that refresher course on labor. After timing for a while I saw that I was having contractions every 3-5 min, and they lasted 40-60 seconds long... hum...I didn't know what that meant- I knew from class you go in when you have 60 second contractions every 5 min, and when it has been consistent for around an hour. Well I decided to call triage around 7:30pm- thinking this might be it. They convinced me to NOT go in. The nurse was telling me- you can always come in, but I am pretty sure we would send you home. I was not happy, but figured she new more then me. I decided to stop timing them- and to call my mom and then go take a bath. In the bath I felt better, but I think they contractions where getting stronger- Michael came in and said, hum... you are reminding me of when we were in the hospital with Amelia, I think we should go to the hospital. That was all I needed to hear. We packed the last few items into our hospital bag, asked John to stay and watch Amelia- Michael had already put her to bed. (perfect timing!! ) Then we were off, it was round 9:30pm- and on the way to the hospital I became convinced I was in labor, it was getting harder and harder to manage.
We checked in and the silly people said Admitting was in the ER and we would have to wait for them. I was really not happy! Michael said we waited around 20 min, and they decided to just bring me right back to triage. From that point on, I just remember a lot of pain, a lot of questions, and lots of nurses doing stuff. I asked if they were busy- cause I wanted my epidural, I had just planned on having one. But by the time I got to my room, I was 9cm, and they said that we might not have time. Afterwords the doctor said that he didn't want to tell me no, but he knew I would not really get an epidural, I didn't want to hear that!!
At 10:49pm on Tuesday July 6th we had Daniel Lee Ellerbeck!!
In the end the nurse said I was at the hospital an hour and one minute before I had Daniel, and we were in the delivery room only 19 minutes before he was born. ( I think that is fast, but it felt a lot longer to me ) Looking back, if I had just come in after and hour of strong contractions- say 7:30, I think it would have gone much smoother. ( I think that is what my doctor was recommending now that I look back... too bad I couldn't remember ) So next time- I am just going to go in, and if they tell me to go home, I will wait in the lobby :)
8 comments:
Great recap!!
He is soooo cute
love grandma Jeanne
I can only pray mine goes so quickly Heidi... only a little over an hour that you were there! Geesh! That's incredible:)
How was the pain? It sounded like you coped! Way to go lady!
Can't wait to see you all when I come home during Christmas.
Love and hugs, Charissa
What a great birth story! Sorry about not getting an epidural though!
Sounds a lot like mine...crazy! Apparently our boys wanted to come into the world super fast! I'm glad everything went well, minus the pain medication. Let me know what I can do for you!
I sure love hearing and reading birth stories. Thanks for sharing yours. It seemed like it was a super fast one which in the end are the best then long dragged out ones. Can't wait to meet Daniel, he is so adorable!
That is a GREAT story! I loved it! Glad everything turned out OK. Enjoy your new little guy -- wish I could come see him in person, but love seeing the pics. By the way, you look great in them, Heidi!
Elaine Allred
Wow, I only wish my labors went quickly, although I would not wish to give birth without an epidural! Glad things went ok, and your son is very cute!
I loved reading your delivery story. You're a brave woman, going epidural-free and all! I have to agree about going to Triage even if the nurse tells you not to. When I had Ava, the nurse kept telling me not to come until my contractions got closer together, but eventually I went in anyway. Good thing I did b/c I was dilated to a 6 and my contractions never did get close together without meds, so if I'd listened to the nurse I would've had her at home!
Post a Comment