Monday, August 27, 2012

6 years!!

Michael and I celebrated our 6 year anniversary this last weekend and it was fabulous! We didn't really make any big plans other then making reservations at a hotel and securing someone to watch our kids, so I was a little worried that I didn't plan anything much and that it was so last minute. But it turned out great and fun, and memorable!

 My mom came and watched the kids Friday afternoon until Saturday afternoon. A big thank you to her for giving us the treat of getting away for a bit. Michael reserved a place for the night in Seattle, but the traffic was heavy going to Seattle when we left the house so we decided to head to Bellevue for the afternoon and dinner. On the drive down a searched for a park we could walk around before dinner. After a few wrong turns...(I am not the best navigator) we finally got to the Mercer Sough Park. It was great, it had a historic blueberry farm, board walks, and the slough with lots of lily pads and birds etc. We saw someone kayaking and asked where they got their kayak from and Michael search on his phone and found the place and we went and rented kayaks for an hour. That was a lot of fun, as we are both mildly experienced in this area. On our honeymoon we kayaked together  in a 2 person sea kayak and I think that was the last time. It is always humorous to have two people who know just enough the get out in the boat, but not quite enough to go straight in the boat. :) We didn't hit anything though. We even successfully passed a group of 3 boats in the narrow slough twice on the trip! We did however drench our pants with all the water that comes off the paddle. The rental place did not provide those nice little skirts to keep you dry. Because this was our spontaneous adventure I didn't plan clothing right and we needed to change before we went to a fancy restaurant. But I didn't pack Michael enough extra clothes. He said that I was plotting to get him to go clothes shopping, (I think the last time he went with me was hum.... 5 years ago.) So we got him some new clothes and then headed to dinner at Maggianos. It was sooo good! The bread was really good, the main dish was sooo good, and the dessert we split but it was the best! It was an apple crostada with caramel sauce. I need to learn how to make one of these!! Anyone know a good recipe? Needless to say I was stuffed by the time we left. We got to sleep in really late and have a great breakfast before heading back home.

So when the topic of dating and marriage comes up I have been asked a few times by people "what was it about Michael that you liked?" and I have never given a good response. I feel like I have no simple answer. But I want to give one now :) Sorry if it is too sappy for you, you don't have to read on! lol!

I have to say Michael is the most perfect person for me, and I feel so blessed to have him as my husband!! So here are some things I loved in the beginning and love even more about him now!!

He is patient, and calm, with me, children, and most things about life. I remember watching him with his niece and nephew and thinking he was really good with kids, and they loved him. He is smart, and has dreams and ambitions to do fun and exciting things. Before we started dating I had been given a project of making a quilt, this was big to me, I am not a person who like to measure and be precise.  I have sewed before but I have never made anything like a quilt. Michael offered to help me, he helped me scan in a million pictures and print them out on fabric. I don't think I could have made it nearly as great as it turned out because of his help. But that was to me a great example of how he loved to help people, and do fun and new things. He is silly. I love silly. This last weekend I was reminded of how much fun it is to just hang out together and laugh. He makes life fun and adventurous. He loves the gospel and to serve. I remember hearing him teach, and thinking "Wow!" and seeing him serve in his callings you could always see his love for the Savior and for others.

I guess my simple answer to the question is how could you not love him. Now I know we are not perfect, but honestly who is. I love him and I am so happy to be married to him! Hooray for 6 years, I can't wait to celebrate all the years to come!!

8 comments:

Angela said...

I love you guys :) Happy Anniversery!

Angela said...

That is Anniversary :)

Heidi E said...

Thanks Angela! You guys are great too!

JoLyn said...

Congratulations on six years. Reading this post made me feel happy.

Danae said...

Happy 6 years! It IS so nice to hang out with just your spouse and remember how fun you can be together. :)

Unknown said...

Thats probably the greatest post I've read! So glad you two still have so much fun together. Happy Anniversary to you both! Love you guys!

Heather

Mallory said...

What a fun little anniversary trip!

Sarah said...

Happy Anniversary! Congrats on 6 years!