Monday, January 11, 2010

Family Home Evening

Our Church encourages each family to have a special time set aside each week that brings family members together and strengthens their love for each other, helps them draw closer to Heavenly Father, and encourages them to live righteously. We call this Family Home Evening and we have it every Monday evening. Typically we have been doing it with just Michael and I. We share things we have learned from the church magazine, or through our own scripture study, or we do a fun activity like watch a movie, or go and visit family we don't get to see all the time.

This week however we decided Amelia is old enough to start having Family Home Evening with us. So we got out a big blanket that we all sat on, and we sang "If your Happy and You Know It", and "I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home", said a prayer, showed her some pictures of Jesus and Heavenly Father, and told her that they love her. Then we played some games. We played ring around the Rosy... which Amelia was not so sure of at first. When Michael and I fell down, she got concerned, and tried to help us up. We tried to be more excited and happy as we fell the second time around... she thought it was fun, but then thought we should all get back up, the third time Michael helped her fall down... gently... but she didn't like that. Next we played duck duck goose. She thought it was kind of funny, but was not sure about that game either as Michael chased me around the circle. Once she caught on, we let her have a turn, we helped her say Duck, Duck, Duck, Duck, Goose ( on Michael's head) Then I took her hand and helped her run around me as Michael chased her. She liked this. So she did it again, but this time she said " Duck" as she touched Michael's head, then she went screaming away from him like he was going to chase her. It was so cute. I know we will have lots of good memories from doing FHE with her. I am grateful for prophets that help us to do things like this that strengthen our family.

No comments: